Traffic accidents are a serious problem in Indonesia. In fact, many people search for it every day Traffic accident news today According to the police in 2017, 3 people die every hour as a result of road accidents. Even during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Polda Metro Jaya Traffic Directorate reported 7,565 accidents in 2020, with 1,565 seriously injured and 559 fatalities. So what are the main causes of traffic accidents?
Come check out the 5 causes of traffic accidents in Indonesia as follows.
1. The human error factor
The human error factor, or whatever it is called human error, is a major factor causing traffic accidents. In fact, 61 percent of accidents are caused by this factor.
Former Director General of Land Transport, Pudji Hartanto, also stated in 2017: “The human factor, which is related to the skills and character of the driver, is proving to be an influential factor in road safety.”
This means the error factor of the driver, which includes:
- drowsiness, unfocused, or tired;
- Not yet fluent or even able to drive;
- Reaction error while driving, either panic or too slow reactions;
- driving under the influence of drugs, intoxicants or alcohol;
- While driving, look at a device, be it a phone or a tablet.
Therefore, the most important thing is to prioritize the driver’s full concentration before driving.
2. Road condition factor
There are still many bad road conditions in Indonesia. Among other things, there are 4 road conditions that can lead to traffic accidents:
- Missing explanation: Especially at night, the lack of street lighting reduces visibility when driving. As a result, they can only rely on the lights of vehicles that are only about 1.5 meters away. This means that the driver is only allowed to drive at a maximum speed of 75 km/h. In addition, dark conditions can also make the driver more drowsy.
- pothole roads: One of the reasons why drivers have to brake suddenly, which can then lead to a traffic accident.
- No traffic signs: The presence of traffic signs can make the driver more concentrated and alert when there are sloping roads, bumpy roads or road curves.
- Sharp bends: Especially on toll roads where vehicles travel fast, sharp turns can be one of the causes of traffic accidents.
Also read: 2 things to do after an accident
3. Natural factors
Natural conditions can also affect traffic conditions. One of the most dangerous natural conditions when driving a car is heavy rain, which makes the roads more slippery and shortens the driver’s line of sight. In addition, other natural factors such as fog, floods, earthquakes or other disasters can cause accidents.
4. Vehicle Factors: Problems with the brakes
Although not as common as the other factors, problems with failed brakes can also occur. Blong brakes can usually be caused by a variety of factors. However, the main factor can lead to the aging factor of the car due to leaking brake fluid or damaged or worn brake parts, especially on the brake pads and pistons.
Therefore, the driver has to take the vehicle to the workshop for maintenance from time to time. This can avoid the risk of accidents.
5. Vehicle factor: overload
Overloading is a serious problem, especially in large vehicles such as trucks and buses. When overloaded, the vehicle becomes prone to imbalance. This can cause the vehicle to roll if it brakes suddenly or is speeding. It is therefore recommended not to load a vehicle with more than the specified capacity.
That being said, if you are a car or motorbike driver and you see a large vehicle that appears to be more loaded, it is a good idea to keep a safe distance. This means you don’t have to be involved in an accident if the vehicle rolls over.
How to prevent and anticipate the risks of accidents?
Even if the risk of an accident is always there, you can prevent and anticipate risks. To prevent this, you can implement driving safety through safe driving, e.g. B. wearing a helmet when riding a motorcycle, wearing a seat belt in a car, making sure the driver is not drunk or drowsy, obeying road signs, and following other people’s contacts along the way.
Once you’ve applied everything, make sure you prepare with knowledge as well first aid. Even if it seems insignificant, it can help save the life of you or another person involved in a traffic accident.
In the meantime, you can protect yourself and your family by having them accident insurance. Insurance gives you compensation when there is a risk of an unexpected accident, be it the risk of death, the risk of disability or the risk of medical expenses. With Super You you can get Accident Coverage from IDR 36,500 per month with a flat premium.
Leave a Reply