Another way to deal with shortness of breath
If it is not an emergency but you feel your chest is tight or you are having difficulty breathing. You can try some of the following methods to overcome shortness of breath.
1. Technique pursed lip breathing
Lip-to-lip breathing is a technique that can slow your breathing and help you release air you feel “trapped” in your lungs.
You can use it when you suffer from shortness of breath or shortness of breath. Follow these steps:
- Relax your neck and shoulder muscles. Relax yourself.
- Breathe in slowly through your nose, do not open your mouth. Inhale for 2 seconds.
- Position your lips as if you want to whistle.
- Exhale through pursed mouth for 4 seconds.
2. Diaphragmatic breathing technique
Just like singing, diaphragmatic breathing techniques can open your airways even more. You can try it at home with the following steps:
- Sit up straight in a chair, but relax your shoulders, head, and neck.
- Put your hand on your stomach.
- Breathe in slowly through your nose. Unlike normal breathing, diaphragmatic breathing does not move the shoulders. What should move and fill with air is your stomach. So watch your stomach move as you hold it.
- As you exhale, tighten your muscles, your abdomen should move inward. Exhale through your mouth with pursed lips.
- Try exhaling longer than you normally breathe before taking another breath. Repeat for 5 minutes, focusing on the exhale.
3. Sit down
Proper sitting position can be a way to overcome shortness of breath. Make sure your feet are flat on the floor and lean your body forward. For more comfort, you can put your elbows on your feet to support your body.
4. Lean against the wall
Standing can actually help you relax and open your airways. Rest your hips against the wall. Open your feet shoulder-width apart and relax your hands. Relax your shoulders, but lean forward slightly and let your arms hang freely at your sides. Then focus on controlling your breathing.
You can also start meditation as a natural breathing medium. Meditation techniques mainly focus on mindfulness, where we focus on controlling our breath. As a beginner, browse through various apps or videos youtube who has guided instructions or instructions to guide you during meditation.
6. Drink coffee
Early research suggests that caffeine may be a remedy for shortness of breath and may help stretch the muscles in the airways. This is good for preventing or overcoming shortness of breath, especially for patients with asthma.
However, remember that caffeine also increases heart rate, so be mindful of the amount of caffeine consumed. If this is a medical emergency accompanied by other symptoms such as chest pain and you feel like you are not getting oxygen, do not eat anything as it can choke you.
7. Consumption of ginger
The next way to get rid of shortness of breath is to eat or drink ginger. Consuming ginger can reduce shortness of breath caused by respiratory infections. A study has even shown that ginger is effective in fighting the RSV virus, one of the causes of respiratory infections.
However, just like coffee, it is advisable not to consume anything in the event of a medical emergency or other symptoms, as you may choke on it. If necessary, contact a doctor immediately.
8. Steam inhalation
Inhaling warm steam can relieve the airways. Hot and humid air can help break down mucus that may be lodged in the lungs and make breathing easier. You can try in the following way:
- Fill the bowl with hot water.
- Add a few drops of peppermint or eucalyptus flavored essential oil.
- Position your face over the bowl and prepare a towel over your head.
- Breathe in and inhale the warm vapor.
If the water is still forming, let it sit for a while to avoid hurting your face from the steam that is too hot.
9. Use a mini fan
Finally, using a mini fan is an easy way to treat shortness of breath. A study states that air from a mini fan can be an effective remedy for shortness of breath. With so much air on our face, we feel like more air is going into our lungs.
Here’s how you can overcome shortness of breath you can do. In addition to the first aid mentioned above, you can also buy medication for shortness of breath at the pharmacy according to a doctor’s recommendation, or you must take out insurance to protect yourself against all possible health risks. You can choose Health insurance for families or Critical Illness Insurance. From IDR 28,500 per month you are protected! Click on the banner below.
Leave a Reply